Fun and interactive foundation course in wine to build basic knowledge of the main types and styles of wine.
- LIVE classroom course online via Zoom in small groups (max. 10 participants) to maximise interaction, participation and learning
- 4 evening classes (2.5 hours each session) running once per week for 4 weeks.
- LIVE guided wine tastings of 11 wines with our wine expert and approved WSET Educator Jane Nisbet Huseby
- Official WSET Level 1 in Wine course materials
Course Start: Monday 2nd November, runs over 4 Mondays
Time: 18:00 – 20:30 hrs (2.5 hrs each session)
Course dates: 02/11, 09/11, 16/11, 23/11.
Booking deadline 29/10/20
Exam: There are two options for taking the exam, either by taking the exam in person in Oslo, or sitting the exam digitally (Remote Invigilation). For students who wish to take the digital exam there is a 300 kr additional administration fee.
- Option 1: Exam date in Oslo: Tuesday 01 December 18:00 – 18:45 (Location to be confirmed)
- Option 2: Digital exam: Tuesday 01 December 17:00 – 17:45
What you will learn:
- How wine is made and the key components of grapes required to turn grape juice into wine (Fermentation)
- Introduction to grape growing: important factors for the successful production of grapes including climatic factors.
- Important steps in the winemaking process of white, red, sparkling and fortified wines.
- The main wine types (red, white, rosé, sparkling, fortified, sweet) and styles of wine (from dry to sweet)
- The main grape varieties and their characteristics (Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio, Riesling, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Syrah)
- How to taste and describe wine using the WSET Level 1 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine (SAT)
- How to store and serve wine (principles and practices)
- How to combine wine and food (principles and practices)
Wine tasting during the course:
During the course you will taste 11 different wines, including white wines, red wines, rosé wines, sparkling wines and fortified wines. On enrolment, course participants will be sent a list of recommended wines to purchase prior to the course. All wines are available through Vinmonopolets online ordering service. Approx. total cost of the recommended wines Kr. 2000.
Included on the course:
- 10 hours of WSET accredited course tuition delivered over 4 sessions over 4 weeks of 2.5 hours each session.
- List of 11 recommended wines to accompany the course.
- Guided tasting of 11 wines by Jane Nisbet Huseby – our wine expert and Approved WSET Wine Educator
- WSET Level 1 course materials (Note: Postage & Packaging is not included – approx. cost 150 kr)
- Exam fee for the 45 minute closed book multiple-choice test. WSET Level 1 in Wine exam does not involve any tasting skills.
Course Fee: 2,500 NOK per person*
*For couples booking together a 10% discount applies please send an email to email@example.com to receive your discount voucher prior to booking.
Booking deadline: 29/10/2020
After your booking you will receive the course materials and the recommended wine tasting list to accompany the course
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Language: Both the course and exam will be in English as WSET does not offer any wine courses in Norwegian. Further explanations however, can always be given in Norwegian if and when required.
Share on facebook
Share on email
There are no entry requirements for this course and no previous wine experience is necessary
- Oslo Wine School Terms, Conditions and Booking Policies
- WSET Level 1 Award in Wines Course Specifications
- WSET Global Website information on WSET Level 1 Award in Wines
- Bookings Terms & Condition
More about the WSET Level 1 in Wine Qualification:
At the end of your course day there is a short test (30 questions closed-book multiple-choice) to be completed in 45 minutes. Questions are based on the published learning outcomes found in the WSET Level 1 in Wines Specifications here and recommended study materials for your course.
A minimum of 70% is required to pass the exam. Successful candidates receive a certificate and WSET lapel pin. Every year WSET Awards issues prizes to students for outstanding academic achievement to support the professional advancement of individuals working or seeking to work within the industry.